B-2 extension
Green card

B-2 extension

Extension of B-2 tourist visa for up to 6 months


Many individuals who come to the United States on a visitor visa would like to extend their visa. They can apply for an extension of stay in the U.S. The extension  may or may not be granted depending upon the reason for the extension, and whether the USCIS is convinced that the applicant does intend to return to his/her home country after the temporary stay in the U.S.

Show more

Suitable Time to Apply

Please note that you should not apply for an extension of stay within 3 months of coming to the USA otherwise USCIS may conclude that even before entering the USA, you were planning to extend the visa which might be in contrast to what you might have said at the consulate or at the port of entry. You should apply at least 45 days  before the I-94 expires. The duration for which the person can stay depends upon the expiration date of the I-94, and NOT on the expiration date of the visa stamp. The date on the visa stamp is irrelevant.

No Easy Alternatives

You can not go to neighboring countries (Canada, Mexico) either by air or road, and come back to get a new I-94 and therefore avoid the lengthy process of applying for extension.  A new I-94 will NOT be given. You can't even go to neighboring islands such as the Bahamas etc and come back to get new a I-94. You will have to actually travel outside of North America and come back.

Approval or Denial

As long as you apply for an extension before I-94 date expires, you will be considered in status (present legally) until you for the decision from USCIS or 240 days, whichever comes first. If your extension is approved, you can be present in the U.S. until the new I-94 date. However, if your extension is denied, you will be considered out of status immediately and your visa stamp will be void. You must leave the U.S. immediately as there is no grace period. In that case, your stay beyond I-94 expiration date will be considered "unlawful presence" for the purposes of inadmissibility.

Extension Duration and Consequences

Usually an extension  will be given for the duration you ask  and give justification.   However, the maximum duration for extension you can ask for is 6 months. Also, you can not apply for a visitor visa extension as many times as you want. The maximum you can stay on B1/B2 visa is 1 year. As long as you stay in the U.S. legally and do not violate any terms of the visa that you are on, you will not get into any trouble while applying for a greencard, just because you applied for a visa extension.

Late Filing

If you are late filing for an extension and your authorized stay has already expired, you must prove that:

  • The delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control;

  • The length of the stay was reasonable;

  • You have not done anything else to violate your nonimmigrant status (visitors can not work in the U.S.)

  • You are still a non immigrant. It means that you or someone on your behalf have not filed an immigrant visa petition.

  • You are not in formal proceedings to remove (deport) you from the United States.


I can help you to fill everything and prepare all docs for USCIS


I can help you to fill everything and prepare all docs for USCIS


Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status


Arrival/Departure Record


Affidavit of Support